PROUDLY SUPPORTING HOUNDS FOR HEROES

Saturday 7 August 2010

Oh dear...Not another one

Offering my advice on the purchase of a puppy has kicked off yet another debate on good old Facebook.

Granted, I was not asked for advice, but the suggestion of "Please be careful, this breed [Japanese Akita] can be dominant, and require lots of patient training," led to a few people taking digs at me and the validity of the course I am studying.
Unfortunately, I can't copy and paste the conversation here, as it has mysteriously vanished, but briefly, it continued something like this:
Them: "It isn't how dogs are bred, it is how they are brought up."
Me: "While this is partly true, studies have shown that genetics play a role in the development of inappropriate behaviour."
Them: "I would like to know where you are studying, because your facts are wrong. Anyone who knows dogs knows that you have to assert yourself by pushing them to the floor, and pinning them down until they submit."
BOOM! There it is. Once again, the influence of a certain TV trainer has reared its ugly head and is putting people at risk of a serious bite.
This misguided individual (aged somewhere around 20) has indeed had dogs, but the one that myself and my father had the opportunity to meet a fair few years ago, decided one day that he didn't like my dad, and actually bit him. It was not bad enough to warrant medical attention, it was more of a "You turned your back on me, so I'm gonna bite you in the butt and run," kind of nip.
Now, this person would only have been young at the time, so would not have been able to understand just how dogs think.
Now, however, as a dog owner, they should have a better understanding of canine behaviour.
But no. Instead of reading a few of the thousands of books available on the subject of behaviour, how it develops etc, such as the wonderfully insightful "Think Dog!" by the late, great John Fisher, this person, and many people like them, continue to just get dog after dog without researching the breed, or knowing how to effectively, and SAFELY, deal with problem behaviours.
The conversation continued, where my education, and my ability to raise dogs was put into question. It was even suggested that I don't even own dogs (let alone large breeds), so how would I know about them?
Well, owning a very strong-willed German Shepherd has certainly pushed my buttons at times, including when he went through his challenging phase. But by remaining calm and patient, and following the advice of the great minds in animal behaviour, (Karen Pryor, Gwen Bailey, etc etc) we came through it with a loving, gentle GSD. He hasn't lost his playfulness or lust for life, he just knows that good behaviour is rewarding, bad is not. I have never had to raise a hand to him, and would never EVER consider doing what is becoming known as an "Alpha Roll."
It is dangerous, ineffective and just plain stupidity. Not only do you risk making the behaviour worse, you put yourself and those around you at significant risk of being badly bitten, or even killed.

We so desperately need for those still living in the dark ages to be re-educated. Otherwise, our rescue centres are just going to continue battling against the inevitable, trying to re-home dogs that have been left with behavioural issues because of uninformed owners.

Thankfully, most rescue centres are very thorough in their questioning of owners, and will not allow the dogs to be homed with just anyone.
Isn't it about time to introduce a compulsory short course in care and behaviour before anyone can take on a dog? Or other animal, for that matter?
Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. A course may be a good idea Kel, I can't believe they said "I would like to know where you are studying, because your facts are wrong". With you being the one on the course, I think it's pretty obvious that you know a lot more than they do. And "Anyone who knows dogs knows that you have to assert yourself by pushing them to the floor, and pinning them down until they submit", woah! I'm no expert but I know that can't be right! You tell em Kel

    ReplyDelete